Wedding anniversary

Daisypath Anniversary tickers

Saturday, December 3, 2011

poems and pet rocks

For J's book selection of tonight, I suggested some poems by Shel Silverstein. She read The Giving Tree and a few other poems from one of his books, (we have 3).

I came across this one that I wanted to share with you :)  It speaks to me of the magic of childhood.

Forgotten Language   (from Where the Sidewalk Ends)

Once I spoke the language of the flowers,
Once I understood each word the caterpillar said,
Once I smiled in secret at the gossip of starlings,
And shared a conversation with the housefly
                  in my bed.
Once I heard and answered all the questions
                 of the crickets,
And joined the crying of each falling dying
                flake of snow,
Once I spoke the language of the flowers......
                How did it go?
                How did it go?

I hope my kids never lose the magic they hold inside of them... my girls are still curious and believe in fairies  :)

Yesterday we drove to the Brooklyn Bridge park area, the kids went on the restored carousel from 1922, collected all sorts of interesting things from nature for their science box, on our nature walk through the park, and F brought his metal detector along so he could look for anything interesting that is buried. He found a few rusty nails and an old boat link chain.
The girls found numerous rocks on the shore of the east river, under the Manhattan bridge, and decided to make them into pet rocks. So when we came home they took some nail polish and painted faces on the rocks and made habitats for them :). Complete with little pebbles for them to eat....

Today at their dance class they showed the rocks to their friends and now each one wants one for X mas...  how cute!  I love their imagination and creativity.

2 comments:

Bethany said...

love love LOVE shel's poems! and yes that's a great one :). sounds like bklyn bridge park was cool, I need to get the boys down to that carousel some day soon. did you ride it?

mom of 3 said...

:) Only the kids rode the carousel.. but we had a good day there.. :) we'd love to meet up on a Friday? maybe in the early Spring? Kinda cold now to go hang out by the water...