Wedding anniversary

Daisypath Anniversary tickers

Tuesday, January 3, 2012

A new year

It's hard to believe that another year has passed, it's now 2012! We had a great time this holiday season, Christmas eve was spent with my mother at our house. I cooked a fabulous meal :), then we opened presents in the traditional European way of celebrating on Christmas Eve. The kids all loved their presents, F got all of the books he'd been saving for, a new book bad and some shirts. J got a whole bunch of fairy books, a mad lib, a new dress and a new kids camera so she can take many pictures now :). We bought A a piggie from the Sandra Boynton books, a piggy hat and my mom got her a set of books about a pig who goes on adventures, can't you see a theme here?  She loves pigs... and what better way to preserve her love of reading than by letting her read anything that she wants to/loves to read. She'll be the first to tell you that she loves to read and write! It's because she is allowed to follow her interest.  I love that my kids received small presents and that is what they were asking for. Nothing fancy or expensive, which goes with the way we live. Christmas day we spent home together relaxing, while DH went to work for a few hours in the morning....
The day after my brother and his gf of 1 year came up from Florida for a few day visit. The kids LOVE him! After picking up my mom from SI, he drove here and we all went to the city to see the big tree, do some shopping at the Lego store and go out to dinner.
Ok I have to say that I have never seen as many people in one place as we did the day after Christmas! I've lived in the 5 boros of NYC for 23 years and never have I witnessed the crowds, and the pushing and the inability to walk at your own paces, not be just pushed alone in one direction was very disturbing to me! But we had a nice time anyway.  Instead of dinner we went to a late lunch at Carmine's, it was a 2 hour wait but the food was good, and the company was wonderful. The kids had a great time.  It was certainly an experience for the kids!
Tuesday we relaxed and cleaned up a little more so we could have A's b day mini party on Wed.
My brother, his gf and my mom came over again to celebrate, he decided to take the girls shopping for new bikes, and so they both have new bikes to ride when the weather gets a little warmer. :)  DH had to work but came home early, made some delicious brownies for her b day cake, and my bro brought a pizza and we had a little celebration. My baby is 7 years old, I feel mixed up about that one!

We have been taking a little break from actual 'school' work, but still doing some reading and pretty much whatever the kids were interested in doing. New years eve we got invited to my SIL's apt. (around the corner from us) for dinner and to hang out with her, her husband and one of her daughters' and her family. We get along great and the kids were thrilled to see their cousins. We had a really nice dinner, she cooks very well, and some more brownies :). The kids played with their little cousins, and the grownups talked. Since DH had to work the next morning, we came home around 8 pm and watched some TV, relaxed and waited for the New Year ball to drop at Times Square. The kids were allowed to stay up, as they are every year, and my son even started a new tradition, he decided to make mini grilled cheese sandwiches for us to eat at midnight. They came out great! He was so proud, he likes to cook and  even more he likes to be a part of the family and do things that will earn him praise. I love my son more than words can express, I love the young man he is becoming.  He has been reading a few books a week, because he wants to :), and one of the stories he wrote a few months ago was published in the homeschool newspaper. He was so happy and proud to have people read it and comment on how they liked it. I think he has a future as a writer :)

Yesterday we dropped F off at his friend L's house for some hang out time. They have been friends for a few years now and really get along and love spending time together. Meanwhile DH and I and the girls went to TJ's and then to get a new fish for J's room.  J cleaned the fish tank really well and is taking the best care of her fishy :) She named her Alexandra.

No comments: